Fast paced sci-fi/fantasy, a little bit of romance, sports bios, or maybe crime & mystery is more your thing? Check out the following new fiction – something for everyone!
- Darwin Elevator Book 1 Dire Earth Cycle Chuck Wendig interview with author.
- Zero World – 1st book in a series Read SFFWorld review
- Leviathan wakes – ‘The expanse’ TV series based on this series and we have the first 3 of 5.
- The long way to a small angry planet – loved this book great stand-alone sci-fi with some wonderful characters REVEIW
- My brilliant friend – Elena Ferrante: the global literary sensation nobody knows. Guardian Review
- Little Bee by Chris Cleave – Staff recommendation *** Review
- The little Coffee shop of Kabul – “Perhaps the greatest accomplishment of this novel is how it both transformed and expanded the narrow-minded ideas I held of Afghanistan” Guardian Review
- Hope Farm by Peggy Frew – shortlisted for Stellar Prize & Miles Franklin 2016
- The last painting of Sara de Vos – Review: Dominic Smith’s brilliant art novel
- Touch by Claire North – One of my favourites but not sure if it is fantasy or sci-fi read review
- Legends of the duskwalkers series by Jay Posey – trilogy available now
- The Vagrant by Peter Newman – Geeks of Doom Revew – this is a very different take on typical fantasy and highly recommend
- The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman – “dark, adult Harry Potter”. The series comes highly recommended and there is a new TV series based on the books Review & Interview .
- The runner & The signal by Patrick Lee – Action,with a little bit if sci-fi & with characters you care about Review
- Before the fall by Noah Hawley – NY Times Review:one of the year’s best suspense novels
- Quota by Jock Serong – debut novel from Australian author winner of Ned Kelly – Best First Crime Novel
- Award-winning Detective Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny – One of the best detective crime series around. Set in Quebec & a small village nearby. Huff Post REVIEW
- Blood witness & Unbroken line by Alex Hammond – lawyer based crime series based in Melbourne and written by young Melbourne author. Staff recommendation ***
- Life, Marathons and Kokoda by Kurt Fearnley Australian wheelchair racer
- From the outer by Alicia Sometimes – Celebration of AFL: personal stories
- Letter to my teenage self – 50 prominent Australians including Adam Gilchrist, Judy Lucy, Nathan Buckley and Missy Higgins write heartfelt letters to their younger selves, passing on the wisdom they wish they’d had at the time
- A view from the cheap seats by Neil Gaiman – A collection of essays on a myriad of topics—from art & artists to dreams, myths, & memories—observed in Neil Gaiman’s probing, amusing, and distinctive style
- Boomer by Harvey Brent – The autobiography of North Melbourne AFL legend Brent ‘Boomer‘ Harvey
We also have a comprehensive range of Positive Education books that Jenny emailed out last week